Monday, November 30, 2009

Staples, Stitches.......what's next?!?

We all know Landon had a run in with the rock wall in our backyard and got a staple put in the back of his head, well............I guess Gavin wanted a matching scar.
Tuesday, about 30 minutes before we were ready to start our trip to Idaho for Thanksgiving, Gavin went potty, and missed completely. He made a mess all over the bathroom AND himself. So, I was taking Gavin's shirt off in the hallway by the bathroom and I had to give it a little extra pull because he has got such a BIG head, and that is when he fell. He lost his balance and fell backward and hit his head on the corner of the metal furnace vent. I immediately dropped down to see how bad it was, because I knew he had hit the very corner and knew it was going to be bad. I started crying immediately and started yelling for Beau. He was downstairs working, so it took several attempts for him to hear me. While I was trying to get Beau to hear me, I grabbed Gavin and his head was dripping blood. I hurried to the bathroom, and put a wet cloth on it trying to stop the bleeding, but we all know how much head wounds bleed. Finally, when Beau made it up the stairs he could hear the strain in my voice. I told him what happened and had him take a look at Gavin's head because I couldn't look. As soon as he looked at it he said, 'this is way worse than Landon's was'. So, then I start crying again because I felt like it was my fault and that I was the worse mom EVER. With Beau almost done with his work for the week, we waited until he was done to go to the doctor. We thought they would probably just put staples in like they did with Landon. Gavin was such a trooper, he never once shed any tears! He is way stronger than I am. We reminded Gavin of Landon's experience getting his 'head fixed', and he was actually excited about it. He kept asking to go to the doctor and get his head fixed. When we got there, they got us right in and gave it a thorough look. The nurse was super sweet and ended up cutting Gavin's hair a little. He sat on the table so still while she was cutting his hair it was amazing.

They decided to put stitches in instead of staples because the stitches hold together tighter then staples do. With that being decided, they had to numb his head really good. They had to put the medicine on 3 times every fifteen minutes.


I love our pediatrician, he is the best.

Gavin did so good! They lied him face down, literally, on the table to put the stitches in. They had to poke him a little bit to make sure he was completely numb, and he never flinched, so the stitching began! He ended up with 3 stitches, and just lied there so motionless I thought he had fallen asleep, but as soon as they were done, he turned and just laughed. They all said he was the bravest little boy they had seen! I was so proud of him, we were there for close to 2 hours and he never cried once or even threw a fit. Kids and doctors offices don't usually go to well together, but he was awesome.

I thought with it being cold outside we would be safe in the house, but I guess not. Being stuck inside is just as dangerous as playing outside. What am I going to do?!?

3 comments:

Analeis Paul said...

He is such a trooper! I love him. I can't believe how well he handled everything. He is definitely braver than I am. He's such a cutie. I hope it heals fast:)

Lynnette said...

Dad and I are both so proud of him!!! He is such a cutie. I love how he wanted his head 'fixed!'

Bethany said...

OUCH..OUCH..OUCH!! He is so brave. It is so hard when your kids get hurt. You are a good mom :) so remember that :) I'm glad he is ok