Friday, June 13, 2008

B-beep, b-beep??

Wednesday evening we had a BBQ with some of our neighbors. We were out back for probably about an hour when we decided to go back in. When we got home our smoke alarms were going off, which was weird because we hadn't been cooking anything. We pushed the reset button and a few minutes later it went off again. We repeated this process several times before we decided to try a new battery, well after a new battery it still went off. When the alarm would beep the carbon monoxide light would flash, so we finally decided we should call the fire department and have them just come out and test the house just in case. Well, when Beau called they told us to go outside and wait, so as we waited an unmarked truck pulled up. We thought 'oh good, at least they didn't bring a fire truck.' Boy were we kidding ourselves, the guy got out of the truck and said, ' there is a fire engine AND an ambulance on the way.' I looked at Beau and just shook my head, I was so embarrassed. I had a headache so they had to test my vitals and make sure I was ok. When the fire engine pulled up about 6 guys jump out in their masks and everything. I couldn't believe it. It turned out our house was fine and it was just our alarms. So they fixed them and went on their way. I was ok too. My vitals were normal. I still had to sign a paper that I didn't need to go to the hospital and that I was ok. All of our neighbors came out to see what was going on and to check up on us. They said they would have done the same thing, so that was a little comforting knowing we weren't just being paranoid.
All is well here!!

4 comments:

Cheryl and Gordon said...

How exceiting for the boys to see the "big red fire truck" and ambulance right at their front door!! You did do the "right thing"- you can never take chances with a possible fire or gas leak.

Lynnette said...

There is never a lack of excitement at your house - whether it's kids, or 'false alarms!' Yes, you did the right thing. You just never know what will happen, so you need to take the necessary precautions! I'm glad everything was o.k..

Analeis Paul said...

I did that once when I was living at the Brittany. It was over Christmas break and everyone was gone, but I could hear the alarms going off in almost all of the apartments ( ya the doors weren't very thick) I was the only one in the complex and so the fire chief had to get my statement and they broke into a few apartments! They had to send the fire truck and the ambulence too!

Kristy said...

We did the same thing. Well, this is my story. We were out someplace, don't remember where, but when we got home our neighbors alarm was going off (no one even lived there yet) and so pierre called the Police Station. Told them that NO ONE lived there, and they didn't need to send everyone over, just someone to check it out. We couldn't smell smoke, everything looked fine inside. But low and behold, not 5 minutes later, 2 engine trucks and the ambulance show up. Hello...didn't we just say that no one lived there??