Last Friday I woke up feeling really good. I was rested and energized, so I thought to myself, "Today is the day Gavin gets potty trained."
So, I rolled up the rug in the living room (just in case he did have an accident at least it would just go on the wood floor and I could just mop it up), rolled up my sleeves and got started. As soon as Gavin woke up I took off his diaper. Most everyone needs to go in the morning, right? Well, I guess not Gavin! He had me paranoid for almost 3 hours. I think he was frustrated with me asking him every couple of minutes if he had to go potty because he sure got grouchy. Finally, I just put a diaper on him and put him back to bed for a short nap. As soon as he woke up I started again. There wasn't much in the diaper so I thought for sure he would have to go soon. NOTHING for hours! Not once did he go in his own little potty. I left it out in the living room all day hoping with it near that he would use it. Around 6 pm, after hours of holding it he sat down. I got so excited that he had actually sat down on his own. When he was done we both looked in and saw that he had actually made it! :) He didn't go very much, but I was so excited! I gave him a big hug and high fives. I then went and washed it out. That really got his attention, I don't know why he was so excited about washing it out. He just kept saying "wash?". Not long after, I realized that he didn't really sit down to go potty. He was standing near it and had an accident! He actually peed right over it, and that is how some got into the potty in the first place. I guess he put the two together, that he is supposed to go on the potty, but he didn't do it until it was too late. He hasn't used the potty since. I gave up and just don't know what to do with him. Is he just really stubborn, or is it just a boy thing? I need help!! I'm sure me not having patience is a big part of it also, but I really believe that Gavin is UN-POTTY-TRAIN-ABLE!!!
PLEASE, I beg you, those with boys that are potty trained, send me some ideas on how you did it. I have about decided he will be in diapers forever.
What I don't understand is that ever since that ONE time I washed out his potty, that is all Gavin wants to do. He saw me do that once and he catches on? He has seen Beau and I use the bathroom a hundred times, but doesn't get it? I don't understand!!!!!







6 comments:
I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that it takes a lot of patience and a lot of time. Maybe try it for a whole week and see how it goes.
Just hang in there, Candace. He is a smart little boy, and he'll get the hang of it soon! Just keep doing what you're doing every day!
Oh I am so sorry, I am really NOT looking forward to potty training Nate!
Um... I don't have a boy, and i've heard boys are harder to train that girls. Belle just pretty much did it on her own. I didn't really have to try too hard, or hardly at all. But try bribeing him with a fun treat!!
I can tell you its not fun potty training! You'll have lots more accidents, but when its done its all worth it. I only have girls but I've heard boys are harder. Sorry!
For all 4 of my boys I have used the same method. I take them shopping the night before and load up on treats and juice boxes. They have such a fun time doing this and it gets them excited. I take the time to talk all about going in the potty. The next morning I just load them up with juice and I have them sit on the potty about every ten minutes. I reward them with treats every time they make it. If you keep them drinking they will have to go this often and the more they go, the faster they will learn. (don't get me wrong, this does mean lots more accidents). You have to be patient and dedicate at least a week to doing nothing else but hanging out by the toilet. For my stubborn boys it helped to set the timer on the stove, they knew when it went off it was time to go sit on the potty (plus this helped me, as I slowly increased the time in between, I was really good at getting distracted and forgetting to take them, thus I would be cleaning the floor) GOOD LUCK! I hop this helps a little.
Post a Comment