Monday, August 31, 2009

Camping........finally!

We are sad to admit that this past weekend was our first camping trip of the summer. Every time we have had the opportunity to go camping, someone gets sick or something else just comes up. This time we decided we were going no matter what! We found a secluded little campsite just up Payson Canyon. There are a few other campsites along the narrow road, but they are so far apart we never heard anyone else the whole time we were up there. There is probably enough room to put up about 3-4 tents, so if anyone wants to come next time you are more then welcome to join.
We got up there Friday evening and set up camp and were getting dinner ready when we realized that what we brought to cook our food on wasn't working. We have a power converter for the car and were just going to plug our fry pan into it and use it took cook our dinner and breakfast. I know it isn't really camping if you have to plug in your appliances, but it was Beau's idea. Fortunately, it wouldn't work, so I hurried home to find our dutch ovens. It felt more like camping cooking over an open fire.

We didn't go big with dinner, just grilled ham and cheese sandwiches. They sure tasted good though. That night as we were laying in bed trying to get the boys to sleep, there was a little rustling of the tent from outside. It was on my side and I have to admit, I think my heart did stop for just a few seconds. We're guessing it was probably just a squirrel or something small like that. It never did come back again.
The next morning we woke to elk bugeling. It was so nice to be in the outdoors and get good and dirty. Gavin and Landon were dirty in the first 5 minutes we were there. They loved it!!
Me and the boys eating our grilled cheese sandwiches.

Landon giving his 'cheese' smile, while Gavin didn't want to open his eyes or smile for the camera.
We must have woke up extra early on Saturday because by the time we had all gotten up and made breakfast and taken everything down and put away, it was only 9 A.M.! I couldn't believe it! We weren't at all in a hurry, we just went with the flow. The nice thing of it was, when we got home and we all got cleaned up, we ALL got to take a nap. I guess the boys must have had a restless night just like Beau and I had. We had so much fun and can't wait to go again soon.




3 comments:

Analeis Paul said...

I'm sad Cody & I couldn't come. Cody just didn't get home until almost 9 Friday night. We'll have to plan a trip soon though. I want to hear the elk bugling!

Lacey and Zach said...

That looked like you guys had a lot of fun! Its always a good time when ya get a little dirty in the outdoors!

Unknown said...

Why is it so hard to go camping? It seems like there is always a reason that you can't! I'm glad you got to go. Is that a snake in the background of the three of you eating your dinner? Maybe a joke of some kind?