Monday, April 21, 2008

Baking Disaster

Well, today I finally got up the nerve to try and bake bread. It did not work well AT ALL!! The recipe called for yeast mixed with hot water, so I thought HOT water. That is where it all went wrong. I mixed the rest of the ingredients following the recipe, but it was really sticky. I thought "hmm, I guess this is how it is supposed to be, I followed the directions." So I set it aside and let it rise. . . . . except it didn't. : ( I still tried to bake the loaves, but they still didn't rise, so I called Mom. She said I probably killed the yeast because the water was to hot, then she asked how old the yeast was. I looked on the package and it was over 3 years old!! I had no idea that it got old. I figured it was one of those things that didn't go bad until it had been opened, but I guess I was wrong. My mom said it wasn't my fault it was the yeast's, so I'm going to go with that. I'll try again tomorrow AFTER I get new yeast. Here are a couple of sad pictures of my first attempt at baking bread. Hopefully, the bread I make tomorrow will look better.

This is after I tried baking it!

I can't believe I am actually showing these pictures, I just hope that I am not the only one who has made this mistake. At least I know my mom did the same thing her first time too. Maybe it just runs in the family. : )

2 comments:

Stacey said...

When I was way younger, I used to try and make cinnamon rolls from scratch and would do this exact same thing. My mom finally watched me try to make them and told me that I shouldn't microwave the water til its boiling to put the yeast in....oops! At least we are trying, right??

Unknown said...

You need to get SAF yeast!!! It is the best, and you can use hot water - just don't boil it!!! Better luck next time. It's actually pretty fun to make bread. I'm glad you gave it a try!